Friday, March 28, 2014

Going Solo

"Who are you training with?"

That's what a nurse asked me last week when I was at the doctor's office. Simple question. Logical, too, I guess. It took me by surprise, though, since I'm so used to doing things on my own; it never occurred to me that I would/could train in any way but on my own. My answer: "No one. Everyone I know is working. I'm training by myself." She seemed as surprised by my answer as I was by her question.

I am well practiced with pursuing projects and adventures on my own. Of course there are benefits: There is no need to compromise differing dreams, visions, and agendas. Everything happens on my own timetable. There are downsides too, though: All energy, enthusiasm, and get-up-and-go has to come from me. There are times when I wonder how much more I might accomplish if there was some compatible "other" sometimes supplying a spark of enthusiasm to help overcome the struggle against inertia.

No comments:

Post a Comment