Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pennyville, TN

I cycled 51 miles today (all on route, no wrong turns), with 2,431 feet of climbing. It was a sunny day, and got up to 85 degrees F. We are camping in a private campground called Beech Bend. 

Today's route, part 1:


Part 2:


Part 3:


Since our rough-weather start, we have been very lucky. We had a lot of rain two nights ago, but it started after we were in our tents and stopped before we got up. It has been much drier, not as humid, as I expected. I have been able to hand wash clothes when I get into camp and have them dry on a line before I crawl into the tent for the night. Today was the first day it started to feel too hot, but it was still okay in the shade. 

The hills have been tough since we crossed into Tennessee. It's not just the amount of climbing; it's the steepness of the hills. These hills climb steeply, and get steeper the closer you get to the top. Looks like we're really in for a challenge for at least the next week. 

Photos from today:


My view of downtown Decaturville, TN, as I rested and ate my lunch in a gazebo:


Another abandoned home I can envision as a nice homestead:


A typical charging mess at our campsite:


No comments:

Post a Comment