Friday, May 16, 2014

Amish Country to Oberlin: May 16 (Day 34)

Today I cycled 68.7 miles with 2,480 feet of climbing. 7 hours on the road. 

We did not have a map that covered the first 12 or so miles because we'd gone off route to get last night's motel rooms; we only had turn-by-turn directions, and they did not match exactly with what we found out on the road. You can see that I was a bit confused about connecting back on route (see miles 13-14) but, with a little backtracking, I got myself straightened out. 

Today's route, part 1:


Part 2:


Part 3:


No rain today! It was cold, though (high 40s to low 50s). I ended up taking off my hat and full-finger gloves, but there were moments when I second-guessed that decision. Never did take off my arm warmers, windbreaker, or leg warmers. I'm not complaining; I would rather ride in cool weather than really hot weather. 

Beautiful countryside today. We went through an area with many Amish farms. I saw Amish men using a horse and buggy, working fields with horses, running a sawmill, building a cinder block foundation, and mending a fence. There were two fields with many Amish women bent over planting. I saw a number of Amish children as well. I startled one young boy who was walking beside the road, head bent over some papers, fervently talking to himself (memorizing schoolwork or scripture?). I didn't take any pictures through this area, though I was tempted. I did not want to invade anyone's privacy. Mental pictures only. 

I should have taken a picture of the pig; I doubt she would have been offended. I didn't see this enormous pig leaning against a fence by the road until my approach startled her. She jumped, which made me jump. 

Through a few states now, we've seen many houses and barns with quilt squares hanging on them. Here's my one representative example:


Nice rolling hills. Some steep ones, but mostly short enough that the running start from the downhill before helped out. 



Tonight and tomorrow night we're at the Oberlin Inn. Two nights in one spot--yippee! This gives us tomorrow to explore the UGRR history of Oberlin, Ohio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment