Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Riding Through Thunderstorms

We had rip roaring thunder showers starting at 4:00am, so we packed up wet tents this morning. 

By the time we were riding, it wasn't raining but it was heavily overcast. 



We began on the trail system again. I saw at least 15 rabbits along the trail this morning--boinging all over the place. 

Here's a typical rest spot along the trail:


After 6.5 miles on the trail, we were back on roads for the rest of the day. More varied scenery, but back to watching traffic, climbing hills, and carefully navigating lots of turns. 

I have to remind myself sometimes that the states we're passing through are not all pastoral small towns. Passing over a busy highway reminds me that there is hustle and bustle here too--even if I'm mostly avoiding it. Here is the empty road I was on...


when I passed over this busy, loud highway:



Here is a turkey vulture mini-convention:


The afternoon was challenging because we rode through thunderstorms. Shoes full of water and glasses covered with spots and fog. 

The campground where we're staying tonight (Autumn Lakes Family Campground) is allowing us to camp under a pavillion. Good thing, too. After supper, we had incredible torrential rain. 


This campground has a little bit of everything. Here is one of the residents:


Our new leader arrived for supper. What an incredible relief! I thought we had done a great job of steering clear of our leadership issues as much as possible but, now that the dysfunction is gone, the atmosphere is so much lighter. I think we are going to have a great finish. 

I cycled 67.8 miles today with 1,109 feet of climbing. 6.5 hours on the road. 

Today's route, part 1:


Part 2:


Part 3:


No comments:

Post a Comment